Accountability is at its strongest when all participants in the accountability system not only work together but have the knowledge and skills to effectively do their jobs.
A strong accountability system is key for Canadians to get the best value for their tax dollars. Through our capacity development program, CAAF has helped legislative oversight committees understand the importance of performance audits and improve the effectiveness of their committees. CAAF supports oversight committees by providing them with workshops and resources they need to make an impact and improve the delivery of public services. More information about our support to oversight committees can be found here.
Our current funding model is based on membership dues from the audit community. Although some funding has been allocated to support oversight, we are searching for a stable long-term funding source to expand on our current program. Without dedicated funding, we will not be able to reach oversight bodies who need us.
Not all oversight bodies are able to fund CAAF on their own. Furthermore, not all communities currently benefit from strong accountability systems. Direct funding from the Government of Canada will beter ensure that its federal government, provinces, territories, municipalities, and Indigenous communities build and exercise strong accountability systems within their jurisdictions.
We therefore recommend that the Government of Canada
invest $1 million annually into CAAF's oversight program.
This funding will help CAAF continue to provide tailored capacity development for oversight committees, enable us to undertake research in order to share cutting edge innovations in oversight, develop new workshops that are grounded in research, while also share the importance of accountability with citizens. More specifically, it will allow us to:
- Sustain our workshops to the Federal Public Accounts Committee
- Increase the support we provide to Chairs, Vice-Chairs, and support staff
- Provide workshops to all provincial and territorial oversight committees each year (as requested)
- Expand our work to include municipalities and Indigenous communities
- Increase the number of capacity development workshops, tools, and publications we produce
- Respond to requests to support the Canadian Council of Public Accounts Committees
Keep your mouse hovered on the image to prevent it from rotating.